Why we chose Revenue Based Financing (RBF)
Novel is a venture debt fund that invests in high growth B2B Software as a Service (SaaS) companies. We founded Novel to invest in and help as many early stage entrepreneurs grow their businesses as possible, but we knew we would be limited by the super high growth and return requirements of the standard venture equity model.
Standard venture equity investment limits the type and number of companies an equity investor can invest in to only companies that have classic hockey stick growth. To overcome this limitation we had to find a different way that also allows us to provide the returns expected by our investors.
Enter Revenue Based Financing (RBF). Instead of buying equity and waiting for an exit, we get our returns via a monthly royalty payment based on cash that the company receives from sales of products and services. Once we reach a predetermined return cap the company stops paying the royalty.
Because we do not need a short-term exit or require super-fast growth RBF allows us to invest in a larger number of companies.
How does RBF compare
to other tools that I’m
Novel’s RBF Investment: A simple and flexible approach that works for more companies
- Investment of $100K to $1M per Company.
- Investments of up to 30% of company annual revenue.
- Monthly royalty payment of between 5% and 8% of gross
- Royalties capped at 1.5X to 2.0X the capital invested.
- Investment returns expected in up to 4 years.
- Amount invested and terms dependent on
individual company’s profile.
How Novel helps you grow
Revenue Acceleration Platform
At Novel we’ve been in the trenches. Each member of our team has experienced first-hand many of the challenges entrepreneurs face. That’s why
we provide direct operational help in three key areas
Many early stage companies find themselves pulled in various directions, chasing too many initiatives, markets and geographies with limited resources. Additionally, many entrepreneurs struggle to find the time to effectively plan the next 6 -12 months, deciding where best to focus and how to allocate resources.
Master strategic focus
We offer a simple and actionable strategic planning framework and can facilitate a strategic planning process for your team. Through our strategic planning process, you develop actionable 1-page plans that can guide your company for up to the next 4 quarters.
A passionate founder who is an industry or technical expert can generate many of the early sales. At some point however, a sales process needs to emerge to achieve predictable growth. Without practical experience it is extremely difficult to build a sales team and design a repeatable process from scratch.
Accelerate your growth engine
We provide up to 60 hours of consulting to accelerate development of repeatable sales processes, helping you get past your most pressing challenges.
Most early stage companies struggle to hire the right sales talent, whether it’s account executives, SDRs, etc. It is difficult to recruit, identify, and appropriately compensate the right candidates. Hiring the wrong individual can cost a company 6+ months of productivity. A mistake none can afford to make.
Hire the right talent
We help you recruit the next member of your sales team and vet them leveraging our industry network and experience. We assist in more quickly locating and hiring talent critical to growth, while helping you design a sales compensation plan appropriate for the business.
Why Partner with Novel?
Fast and Flexible Investments
- Fast investment decision and funding in 45 to 60 days.
- Larger investments available as you grow.
- Fixed royalty percentage. You are not stuck to a fixed payment; it flexes with monthly cash flow.
- We play well with others. We can invest alongside angels and equity VCs.
You’re In Control
- We want to support you in your journey. Exit your company on your own timeline and your own terms.
- Capped return. Knowing your cost of capital from the beginning allows you to better manage future capital needs.
- No board oversight required.
- No personal collateral required. No personal guarantees.
More than just capital
- We have been in your shoes. Our team has real world entrepreneurial and operational expertise.
- Novel’s Revenue Acceleration Platform and best practices create lasting value for your company.
- Our interests are aligned. We both want growing, sustainable revenue. No unnatural growth expectations.